Sunday, January 20, 2008

Confession of a Xaverian pre admission





Yes St Xavier's College...the B Com(H) Dept........

St Xavier's ...a name which means different things to different people..

For some..it's the word you somehow (consciously /unconsciously) manage to utter in your conversation with that cute looking girl you've just met ...believe me ..the word brings that extra sparkle in her eye and you are enthralled...those early morning rituals didn't go down the drain!!!


Almost everyone in the first year creates an email id that encompasses this buzzword Xaviers .......coolabhi_xaverian ,sunil.sxc,mez_xaverian_cooldude




And everyone capitalises on the opportunity to arrange some Xavotsav passes, succumbing to those "Plz mere liye itna to kar sakte ho naa...sirf do(2) pass manage karo naa "No guesses for who is at the receiving end of this glamour!!!





Equally enthralling are those moments when your father ,mother or any relative for that matter ,proudly announces to your distant "mama ke bhaiya ki mousi ke bete ka door ka rishtedaar..." that their son is in St Xavier's


Our VP in college would "proudly"( yes I am using this phrase just too often... there is no better word than 'pride'to describe Xavier's aptly) assure us that the tag would not only help you fetch a dream job but also an additional 2 lacs of dowry... and so those demanding classes and weekly tests shouldn't be termed demanding by the students



For me Xavier's was an amalgamation of all the above ..

Yes I have deliberately asked girls the name of their college so that I in turn could utter mine ,
I still maintain an e-mail id anurag_xaviers@yahoo.co.in ,much to the chagrin of those envious non-Xaverians around ,


I have arranged/ at least tried to arrange Xavotsav passes for......,

My father,mother,nanaji,naniji,cousins ...everyone use this magic-word to create a strong impression for me ... But the dowry part still needs to be verified ...
I'll surely get back with an answer on this after 7-8 years


BUT BUT BUT



Xavier's for me is much beyond this



I still remember those ISC exams (class 12 Boards which I had taken in the Science stream)where each day was either Xavier's positive or Xavier's negative..I mean an awful Physics practical where I failed to beat those unexciting experiments brought tears ... a superb Hindi exam meant "Don't lose hope is the moral of the story...Maybe Lady Luck will smile "



I had 435 marks(87%) in my kitty to fight for Xavier's (Best of 5 ...including English)...will I meet the cut-off???



Finally Form No 7264 did appear in the first list of selected candidates posted on the st.xavier’s website.You know ,I asked my friend & the cyber cafe owner to check again whether it was actually a reality or a mere figment of my imagination , an outcome of my desperation to be there .....



"Mummy mera Xavier's mein ho gaya " Tears came in my eyes as I scrambled to get hold of a PCO and phone up everyone who mattered..that was a historic moment in my life..... The news came as a shock for those critics who had not excepted this stream changer ( I mean Science to Commerce) to manage this ......"Where will you take admission ..Umesh Chandra or Bhawanipore???" ...they had been asking with a smirk since the last three months and I managed to have the last laugh!!!



True that Xavier's per-se would be an eyewash...there would be no achievement if I would just manage to be a passout from St Xavier's ...800 people would do that each year .( including the quota category ) and so my three years should equip me with a strong naswer if asked what I managed to achieve there....something really exciting!!!!

2 comments:

oindrila333 said...

hmmm...this tag...it is all abt the tag
r u still in colg?

Shubhomita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.